Summer Teachers 2015 – FILLED
Connect the Dots Summer Teachers 2015 – FILLED
Financial Mentors of America will recruit individuals to serve in a key role as Instructors for FMA’s summer Connect the Dots and Game of Real Life program. Engagement is June 1 to July 10.
Primary Responsibilities – Summer School
1) Summer school teacher and volunteer training. Teachers participate in free financial education training from 8:30am to 1:30pm, June 1 to June 4. They work with Enrichment Coaches to learn classroom management skills and demonstrate mastery of course content by passing the final exam.
2) Summer classes for 7th and 8th grade students will be from June 8 to June 30, Monday to Thursday from 8:30am to 4pm with Friday field trips. Teachers work with students to master class material and develop 8-year high school and post-secondary action plan. They communicate with parents and volunteers and evaluate student progress. They attend assigned field trip as a chaperone, daily comment in their personal Journal and meet with Logistics Coordinator weekly.
3) Game of Real Life on July 1 & 2. Teachers work with students to assure they pass the final exam and facilitate the students’ and volunteers’ positive experience in the experiential Game.
4) In July, teacher will work with Logistics Coordinator and curriculum developer to evaluate test results and surveys by students, participants, volunteers and parents.
Teachers have the opportunity to teach, lead, delegate, and effectively communicate with middle school students, school administrators, parents and volunteers from the business community. Because of the diverse backgrounds of FMA volunteers, our instructors also enhance their cultural competency.
Applicants must be either a college senior with relevant volunteer experience, a college graduate with work experience or a college graduate with a teaching certificate. A desire to work with underserved teens and knowledge of finances, career discovery and or post-secondary education planning and funding is valuable.
Important Dates and Activities
April 15, 2015 – Application Deadline – submit resume, with a cover letter addressing:
- Why you want to teach the summer Connect the Dots course,
- Your experience in working with teens
- Your personal and career goals
- Languages spoken
- Available dates for a phone interview
- Your volunteer and teaching experiences
- Under what conditions you qualify academically for the position
Please submit your resume and cover letter to Lorraine@Financialmentors.org. Because time is limited, please also respond promptly to a request for a telephone interview.
May 9, 2015
Panel Interviews in Houston or if out of town by Skype or Google Hangout.
May 13, 2015
This is FMA’s target hiring date. If offered a position you must confirm acceptance of the position immediately.
June 1 to July 10, 2015
Instructor stipend will vary based on Academic qualifications – Certified teachers will receive a stipend of $4,000. All other instructors receive a stipend of $2,000.
Primary location of work will be Patrick Henry Middle School – 10702 East Hardy Street, Houston 77093. Alternative work location is FMA home/office – 10655 Memorial, Houston, TX 77024.