Expanding Your Horizons – Feb 22, 2014
As 400 middle school girls attended Expanding Your Horizons, a career event focused on Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) careers. The annual event was held at Northbrook Middle School in Spring Branch ISD. More than 30 parents, teachers and school administrators attended THE FOUR Rs presentation on the implementation of Personal Financial Literacy education in middle and high school curriculums. Lorraine Decker, CLU, ChFC, MSFS president of Financial Mentors of America and Laura Ewing, president of Texas Council on Economic Education co-presented THE FOUR Rs – Reading, ‘Riting, ‘Rithmetic and Rate of Return.
The key content of the presentation:
• Background on Personal Financial Literacy education in Texas from 2008 to the present legislation
• Preparing now for new high school graduation requirements
• The need for post-secondary education and the importance of graduating career and college ready
• 6 Personal Financial Literacy Goals for parents and educators to prepare students in middle school for the future.
• Personal Financial Literacy in middle school math – lessons and testing. The math TEKS were written by Laura and the Texas Council For Economic Education and excellent resources for teachers and educators are available on EconomicsTexas.org and SmarterTexas.org websites.
• Attendees were urged to advocate for Connect the Dots curriculum for middle school and Game of Real Life in high school, authored by Lorraine Decker.